Tuesday, April 8, 2008

AllTop and Another Social Network for Booklovers!

In Web 2.0 class, we've twice visited and played around with Librarything--a big favorite in a room full of librarians, as one might guess. Well, I have two new links to share that I've recently discovered: AllTop and Shelfari.

I don't remember how I found AllTop, and I don't know how long it's been around, but it's new to me! Here, they collect news items from "all the top" sources, and aggregate them into collections such as education, culture, geekery, etc. How they decide what the "top" sites are, I don't know, but I've found some interesting education articles and news items here! Another nice facet is that when you mouse over an item, you get a preview. Cool!

When I was browsing Alltop the other day, I discovered Shelfari. If you like Librarything like so many of us librarians do, take a look at Shelfari! It's a social networking site for booklovers--you can create your own bookshelf that really looks like books on a shelf.I like this cool interface better than Librarything. Very cool! Librarians, go check it out!

2 comments:

Lifelong Learner said...

You are such an inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing your finds. Now if we could only get others to read about what you have found.

jamie camp said...

Thank you for leading us and pushing us all a bit. I hope people will slowly adopt--you and I are the eager adopters. Others I hope will follow because there's a lot of power in connection.